2012 The Year of Fish



Often, say every other year or so, I decide on a cooking adventure and dedicate the entire year to conquering a food. Several years ago it was bread. Aside from the occasional restaurant servings or purchased lunch sandwich, that year I ate only bread that I had made myself. Of course, I started with the a loaf of Standard white bread, but before long I was making flat breads and cheese and nut infused rolls. It was fun, particularly the humourous sudden rise of the pita! A year after that it was savory pies – meat pies, meal pies, everything but dessert pies. It, too, was fun. I learned especially how to make a proper crust. I have decided that 2012 will be the Year of Fish, but not the standard filet in butter. No, I want to investigate Paiayas, fish stews – and I’ll extend this to bivalves and shrimp – clam sauces, and Thai shrimp dishes. There may even be a fish bread or savory fish pie – actually I have already attempted the fish pie but it was a disaster which means, yes, I will prevail and try agian.  Tom and I have been leafing through the books of El Bulli, and though I don’t expect to get as rarified as say, Sardines with Fish Roe (pictured above), nonetheless their work is of great inspiration. Also, in many ways this is a tribute to fish, which if the news is to be believed, may not exist in another decade or so. I hope not, but with this irony in mind, I will be eating them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment